Few people like fresh quince, because it is very hard and tart. But quince jam is considered a real oriental delicacy that brings great benefits to the body.
It is not surprising, because quince can save a person from a whole list of diseases and ailments, provide the body with such essential substances as pyridoxine (B6), thiamine (B1), ascorbic acid (C), nicotinic (B3) and pantothenic (B5), as well as riboflavin (B2).
That is why lovers of traditional medicine very often use quince for medicinal purposes:
- The high content of pectin will help to improve the functioning of the digestive tract, strengthen the liver.
- Fiber will ensure the normalization of metabolism.
- In addition, quince is rich in natural sugar – fructose and glucose, vitamins B, C and P, salts, organic acids and trace elements.
- The tannins contained in the fruits have hemostatic and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Quince jam has diuretic properties, it is recommended to use it for cystitis.
- It will help to cope with such an unpleasant phenomenon as toxicosis.
- It is recommended to use jam for those whose body is weakened by the disease, thanks to a healthy preparation, you will quickly get enough of minerals, vitamins and return to normal.
- For colds, quince jam is used as an antipyretic.
We recommend brewing a few jars of delicious quince jam to please your body and soul this winter.
Step by step method
Wash fruit thoroughly and peel.
Chop into thin slices, put together with half of the sugar in a special bowl for heat treatment.
Shake the food container to spread the white crystals over all the quince pieces.
Place the cut peel and the remaining sugar in a small saucepan, boil, then strain.
Pour the chopped fruits with a sweet decoction, cover with a cotton cloth, leave for five hours in this state.
Put the dishes with quince on the stove, turn on the burner to an average flame height, after the start of boiling, reduce the intensity of heating. Turn it off after ten minutes, arrange a daily break.
Continue cooking fragrant quince dessert. Repeat the cooking procedure for an hour, then cool the jam, spread the sweetness into sterilized jars.
Tips & variations
If quince slices are sprinkled with sugar and left overnight, it will release the juice more strongly, and the jam itself will end up much tastier.
It is better to choose a thick-walled stainless steel or enameled bowl for cooking.
If you want quince jam to be stored longer, add fresh lemon or citric acid to it, they will act as a preservative.
Ready-made quince jam serves as an excellent filling for sweet pastries, an addition to tea or a topping for pancakes and fritters.